Kamifusen (上桧木内の紙風船上げ) and Inukko (犬っこまつり) 2018

Two winter festivals - most likely my lsat ones in Akita.  This year, I went to Kamifusen for the first time and Inukko for the second time.

Kamifusen
Held every year on February 10th

A festival with a long tradition, Kamifusen was re-started in 1974 (after a break in festival) and has been a part of Akita winter ever since.  Basically, as with all winter festivals (in my opinion), it is a way to wish for a good rice harvest and to drink outside during the cold and snowy part of winter.  The timing is, I believe, based on the old new year (lunar new year).

Basically, there are giant paper balloons and they heat them and send them up.  They act as prayers or wishes that get sent to the sky.  Some person came up to me and told me to help, so I ended up participating!  Basically, you have to turn the balloon as it heats up and then once it's ready, you release it with the group of people holding the paper balloon.  Good fun had by all.  The weather was not great this year, so they had a hard time launching the balloons, and most were either not launched or fell to the ground.












Inukko
Held every year on the weekend of the 2nd Saturday in February.

I love this festival because it really keeps things simple.  They make Shinto dog shrine out of snow and of course there are plenty of cute dogs running around in the snow.  There was good food (I especially enjoyed the ramen with chicken broth) and lots of sake tasting.  And I made friends with two Akita Inu.  Definitely my favourite winter festival in Akita.


Popular Posts